💯 OutPoint Mission
OutPoint is on a mission to grow the digital economy through marketing science. 🌊 📈
Growth isn't zero-sum. Using data to unlock dollars for profitable scaling, OutPoints empowers new digital businesses, new customers, new transactions, and new economic activity.
Curious to learn more? Read this post on how OutPoint works.
From a functional perspective, we use technology to help growth marketers diversify ad spend and discover the benefits of an optimized marketing mix.
By “arming the rebels” with enterprise-grade data science, we create a more robust competitive environment allowing upstarts to compete with retail giants like Amazon.
Our thesis is that a multi-channel, data-driven aggregator will sit at the “top of the funnel” for optimizing hundreds of billions in paid ad spend by 2025: OutPoint is building it.
Here are three shifts we think are inevitable as a result of OutPoint’s success:
- In-house > external: Arming in-house Marketing teams with productized data science de-risks the task of scaling ad spend and puts brands in control of their own outcomes.
- Market integrity: The world is seeing an increase in valuable, independent digital brands. We are in the midst of a monumental power shift allowing Independents to tap into consumer markets across the world. Simultaneously, consumer’s have increasing control over what to buy, when to do it, and how much to pay.
- We all win: More competitive ad markets create positive externalities for the economy. As OutPoint’s clients scale, this kicks off a virtuous cycle of additional hiring and investment, benefiting society.
We're focused on solving real problems faced by our customers as they scale, instead of selling profitable but less differentiated solutions that work now, but won’t in the future.
🤝🏽 Core Operating Principles
The following principles represent specific behaviours and skills that we value most at OutPoint. As an early-stage, fast-moving, company we recognize that the specifics of what we work on will change over time. But, every strong organization starts with a kernel of principles that shape its success.
We're focused on building a culture that enables our teammates and customers to exceed their potential. The following principles inform our hiring process and are referenced directly when we make decisions.
Core Operating Principles
Growth for all (team, customers, stakeholders)
We are committed to the personal and professional growth of our employees. We encourage taking risks and support our employees every step of the way. We hire for slope (where they are going) over Y intercept (where they are today).
We win as a team
Team achievements matter more than individual achievements. We measure success by our team and customers' collective, not personal, results.
Optimize for the long-term
We take pride in sustainability and make decisions that optimize long-term outcomes vs. what might be most profitable in the short-term.
We are all owners
Actions speak louder than words. We do what we say and each embrace responsibility for both creativity and accountability. We reward increased commitment and creative freedom.
In data we trust
We make decisions based on data and objectivity, not gut opinions. We put in the research to form a point of view and are open-minded and data-driven when debating competing options.
Transparency and context over control
We design our processes and information flow to prioritize honesty and transparency. We share context and communicate clearly with all stakeholders. We believe we are most effective and innovative when employees make decisions using the best information available.
🌎 Diversity and Inclusion
We're committed to building a safe, supportive, and inclusive team at OutPoint. We are committed to a workplace free from discrimination of all kinds.
Getting to the best outcomes for our team and customers calls for diverse perspectives and experiences. Quite simply, we won't fulfill our mission if our team looks and thinks the same.
We promise to foster a workspace where everyone belongs from day one. We create a space where all voices are respected, and people of all backgrounds can do our best work.
📈 How we Hire
We do our best to be responsive and communicate expectations throughout the hiring process—integrity matters.
Our interviewing philosophy:
1. Standardized for consistency and effectiveness: When it comes to hiring, we operate like scientists, keeping as many variables consistent in the process to evaluate candidates. Standardization lets us reduce the impact of bias and increase our predictive powers so that our interviews are more effective.
2. Technical and Principles-based process: We use technical and principles-based assessments with our candidates, including case studies and behavioral questions. We use frameworks and rubrics to assess candidate knowledge, skills, and behaviors on merit rather than making biased or inaccurate assumptions about a candidate's abilities based on their resumes, warm intros, or our "gut feel" about their candidacy. After a technical and principles-based interview (remotely), we'll ask for a few references, such as past managers and colleagues, as we value team effectiveness and think it is essential to hear from teammates.
3. Exceptional candidate experience: We create a hiring experience that gives folks a realistic understanding of our company's role and makes a positive impression of OutPoint (whether or not they get the job).
4. Put people first: We understand that talent is the most valuable resource in the world: potential future team members assess us as much or more than we evaluate them. We recognize that we are in a fortunate position to work with exceptional people and we want to do right by them.
🤜 🤛 About the Founders
OutPoint was founded by Rob Palumbo (CEO) and Sean Billings (CTO) in 2020 as part of Entrepreneur First. Our collective backgrounds include high-growth startups like Properly, Borrowell, and Spherical Labs and scaled organizations like Amazon, Arup, and PepsiCo.
We've benefited from serving as early team members and leaders at a handful of startups and have seen the ups and downs of scaling a business, product, and culture.
Who is the CEO?
Rob - Grew 3x VC-backed DTC startups from Seed to Series A/B+ and millions in users/revenue via channel diversification strategies. Rob has earned insight into marketers' operational & strategic challenges in diversifying ad spend across channels.
Who is the CTO?
Sean - An experienced cloud engineer having held a senior role at Arup. On-edge experience building APIs in a microservice architecture for eCommerce optimization at Amazon and research experience with groups at uOttawa, Cambridge, and startups.
Our mission is big and audacious. We're focused on building a culture that enables individuals to exceed their potential. We have a long journey ahead of us, and we'd like your help.